Skip to content

Name Change

Adult / Minor Name Change

One of the most permanent and identifying aspects in our lives is our names. That does not mean that a name is necessarily incapable of being changed, however, as nothing could be further from the truth. If you want to change your name, there are few things you should know about how Alabama law treats name changes. And if you are looking for more detailed advice, reach out to an experienced attorney who understands name change law and how it works as well as how to move forward with your request as quickly as possible.

Can Anyone Change Their Name?

In short, the answer to this question is “no”. There are a variety of reasons why someone might not be able to change their name. This includes an attempt to avoid legal action or judgments as well as obligation and debts. You cannot change your name if doing so would defraud someone else. Finally, a parent can object to a name change petition presented by their child – and if they are able to show that the change is not in the best interest of said child, the court could deny the petition.

How Can I change my Name?

If you are an adult, you may fill out a petition and declaration for change of name and file it with the Probate Court in the jurisdiction in which you live. You will provide your current name as well as the name you want to adopt on this petition. After paying the required fee, the court could schedule a hearing to obtain more information regarding the request, or it might simply issue something known as a Decree Confirming Declaration as to Change of Name. After this point, you can use your new name and even obtain a new birth certificate.

If you are a minor, the process must generally go through your parents. They will need to file the aforementioned documents and pay the required fee. If you are 14 years or older (but younger than 19, at which point you are considered an adult), you have to consent to the change and will need to sign the documents before they are filed.

Name Change